If you've ever wanted to create your own animated puppet with Adobe Illustrator and Character Animator, this step by step guide will walk you through customi. Dave is a Senior Experience Design Lead for the Character Animator team at Adobe. When he's not designing, he posts regular Character Animator videos and tutorials to his Okay Samurai YouTube channel. His past projects include the portfolio website Okaydave, indie video game Atmosphir, and Extraneous Lyrics video series. Puppets for Adobe Character AnimatorStylish and fully rigged puppets for your recordings. Use our puppets in explainer videos, live streams, presentations and your other projects. Browse Our Puppets Puppets for Adobe Character Animator Stylish and fully rigged puppets for your recordings. This entry was posted in 2D, 3D, Animation and tagged Adobe Character Animator, Adobe Creative Suite, Digital Puppets, DSLR, Grounds of Freedom, Legos, Mike McCarthy, YouTube on December 7, 2018 by Randi Altman. Behaviors in Character Animator; Learn more about Behaviors. Body: directly controlled; Body: auto-animating; Layer swapping; Physical simulations; Utility; Recording and playback. Record and Playback; Refine a recorded performance; Scene cameras; Using Keyframes in Character Animator; Export projects. Export a scene or puppet; Stream a scene.
This is a simple walkthrough of creating a basic character in Adobe Character Animator. After going through this tutorial, you should be able to create an animated character with head tracking, responsive eyes and eyebrows, real-time lip sync, and a body with draggable limbs.
Recording & Editing
Recording in Character Animator is as simple as pressing the red record button, but this tutorial digs a little deeper into the best techniques for recording and editing, such as arming & disarming behaviors, blending multiple performances together, and perfecting lip sync tracks.
Triggers are a critical part of any puppet made in Adobe Character Animator, allowing you add emotions, props, and animated sequences on demand. We’ll set up some simple triggers to turn lights on or off, swap between different hand positions, explore what happens when you trigger a group with a behavior, and finish with Face Triggers, adding eyelids, sad mouth sets, and other features to give a face more dynamic range.
Download the example project here.
Behaviors are what bring your puppets to life in Adobe Character Animator. The Lip Sync behavior tracks your voice, the Eye Gaze behavior tracks your pupil movements, and so on. In this overview video we’ll quickly preview all of the currently available behaviors and give a brief example of what they do.
Get more detailed info about each behavior at adobe.com/go/chhelp_behaviors.
Creating an Animated Livestream
In this tutorial we’ll show you how to build and stream a live animated character on places like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook. “Live animation” seems like an oxymoron, but it’s now possible with Adobe Character Animator.
Download Bluster at adobe.com/go/chexamples.
Creating Lip Sync Mouths
When you are first getting started in Character Animator, getting the mouths to work right can be the hardest part of making your own custom creations. In this tutorial we’ll walk through two free example mouth sets (in both Adobe Photoshop PSD and Illustrator AI versions), learning how to get the best lip sync possible.
Download the Mouth Pack at adobe.com/go/chresources.
|Initial release||June 15, 2015; 5 years ago|
Version 4.0 / March 10, 2021
|Operating system||Windows 10 X64 only Version 1809 or later, MacOS 10.13 and later|
|License||Trialware, software as a service|
Adobe Character Animator is an Emmy-award-winning desktop application software product that combines live motion-capture with a multi-track recording system to control layered 2D puppets drawn in Photoshop or Illustrator. It is automatically installed with Adobe After Effects CC 2015 to 2017 and is also available as a standalone application which one can download separately as part of a Creative Cloud all-apps subscription. It is used to produce both live and non-live animation.
Character Animator imports layered Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator documents into puppets which have behaviors applied to them. The puppets are then placed into a scene, which can be viewed in the Scene panel and Timeline panel. Rigging is set up in the Puppet panel, though basic rigging is fully automatic based on specific layer names like Right Eyebrow and Smile. Properties of selected elements can be examined and changed in the Properties panel, including behavior parameters. Live inputs include a webcam (for face-tracking), microphone (for live lip sync), keyboard (for triggering layers to hide/show), and mouse (for warping specific handles).
Adobe 3d Animator
Final output of a scene can be exported to a sequence of PNG files and a WAV file, or any video format supported by Adobe Media Encoder. Live output can be sent to other applications running on the same machine via the Syphon protocol (Mac only) or Adobe Mercury Transmit on both Mac and Windows. Scenes can also be dropped directly into After Effects and Premiere Pro, using Dynamic Link to avoid rendering.
Character Animator was originally code-named 'Animal'.
The following is the list of versions of Character Animator.
|Ship Date||Version||Shipped with||Major features added|
|June 15, 2015||Preview 1||After Effects CC 2015.0 (13.5)||markerless face tracking; layered PSD & AI import; WAV & AIFF import; PNG sequence export; WAV export|
|July 27, 2015||Preview 2||more accurate face tracking and lip sync; track reordering and snapping in the timeline; transparency grid; improved performance; bug fixes|
|November 30, 2015||Preview 3||After Effects CC 2015.1 (13.6)||“sticks” to control rigidity of the puppet mesh, multi-touch gestures to control character limbs, the ability to share rigged puppets, increased recording flexibility, performance improvements|
|June 21, 2016 (announced April 12, 2016)||Preview 4||After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8)||visual layer tagging, improved lip sync, export via Adobe Media Encoder, Syphon support, Motion Trigger, Auto Blink|
|November 2, 2016||Beta 5||After Effects CC 2017 (14.0)||dynamic link to After Effects and Premiere Pro, shareable puppet files, Cycle Pause tag, MP3 import, PNG sequence import, speed improvements|
|April 19, 2017||Beta 6||After Effects CC 2017 (14.2)||automatic walk cycles, viseme editor, cross-platform live streaming output via Mercury Transmit, layer blending modes, workspace modes, additional languages (Simplified Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and Korean)|
|October 18, 2017 (announced September 14, 2017)||1.1||part of Creative Cloud||Controls & Triggers panels, MIDI support, pose-to-pose Face & Eye Gaze animation, audio waveform in the timeline, copy and paste of visemes into After Effects, auto-attach, clipping masks, Layer Picker, Fader, Collide & Dynamic tags, improved lip sync|
|December 11, 2017||1.1.1||minor UI changes and bug fixes|
|April 3, 2018||1.5||particle physics, scene snapshots, improved triggers UI, copy and paste takes and triggers, countdown before recording, custom Controls panel button art|
|October 15, 2018 (announced September 9, 2018)||2.0||Characterizer, replays, magnets, squashiness, shoulder and hip tags, history bookmarks|
|April 3, 2019||2.1||Character Trigger extension for Twitch, jaw movement based on visemes, search filtering for behaviors, UI polish|
|June 17, 2019||2.1.1||bug fixes|
|November 4, 2019||3.0||keyframes, scene cameras, triggerable audio, motion lines, rigging issues pane, search filtering for tags and triggers|
|December 9, 2019||3.1||trigger labels, search filters for project items|
|February 19, 2020||3.2||keyframe time stretching, replays-related improvements, new keyboard shortcuts, automatic addition of corresponding behavior for Pin, Dragger, and Dangle tools|
|May 18, 2020||3.3||feedback button, markers over dynamic link, timeline search filter, audio track volume control|
|June 15, 2020||3.3.1||bug fixes, new icon|
|October 20, 2020||3.4||speech-aware animation, improved lip sync, limb IK, merge takes|
|February, 2021||3.5||timeline snapping options|
|March 10, 2021||4.0||new file format (faster, more compact, and resilient to corruption)|
- Adobe Animate (formerly Macromedia Flash)
Adobe Character Animator 2020 Youtube
- ^'Adobe Character Animator Receives Emmy® Award for Technology and Engineering'. Adobe Blog. 2020-01-15. Retrieved 2020-01-18.
- ^'An In-Depth Look at Character Animator, Adobe's New Motion Capture & Animation Tool'. Nofilmschool.com. 5 July 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ ab'Adobe Creative Cloud features'. Retrieved 27 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Adobe Character Animator CC Learn & Support'. Adobe. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'We've created an Animal - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Digital Video & Audio. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Kosner, Anthony Wing. 'Adobe Character Animator Lets You Make Cartoons Speak With Face Tracking'. Forbes.com. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Adobe Character Animator (Preview 1) now available - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Digital Video & Audio. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Character Animator (Preview 2) now available - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Digital Video & Audio. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ ab'What's New in Character Animator - Adobe Community'. forums.adobe.com. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'After Effects CC 2015 v13.6 and Character Animator Preview 3 updates available - CGPress'. CGPress. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Character Animator (Preview 4) Makes Animation Easier - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Adobe Creative Cloud. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Sneak Peek: What's Coming Next in Character Animator - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Adobe Creative Cloud. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Newest Release of Character Animator Adds Simplified, Powerful Workflows - Creative Cloud blog by Adobe'. Adobe Creative Cloud. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'New Features - Adobe Character Animator CC'. Adobe.com. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^Okay Samurai (14 September 2017). 'New Features Preview - September 2017 (Adobe Character Animator CC)'. YouTube. Retrieved 26 October 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'What's New in Character Animator'. Retrieved 11 December 2017.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^'Adobe releases Character Animator CC 1.5 CG Channel'. www.cgchannel.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- ^'Introducing Characterizer and More Game-changing Innovation in Character Animator CC'. Retrieved 2018-10-09.
- ^'Adobe releases Character Animator CC 2.1'. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- ^'What's New in Character Animator Adobe Community'. forums.adobe.com. Retrieved 2019-07-15.
- ^'New features summary for the November 2019 release of Adobe Character Animator'. helpx.adobe.com. Retrieved 2019-11-25.
- ^'New features summary for the 2019 releases of Adobe Character Animator'. helpx.adobe.com. Retrieved 2019-12-11.
- ^'New features summary for the 2019 releases of Adobe Character Animator'. helpx.adobe.com. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- ^'New features summary for the 2020 releases of Adobe Character Animator'. helpx.adobe.com. Retrieved 2020-05-28.
- ^'Character Animator 3.3.1 is now available!'. 2020-06-16. Retrieved 2020-08-04.
- ^'Adobe releases Character Animator 3.4 CG Channel'. Retrieved 2020-10-24.
- ^'Character Animator User Guide'. helpx.adobe.com. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- ^'Character Animator 4.0 is live!'. https://community.adobe.com. 2021-03-10. Retrieved 2021-03-20.External link in